Pages

Monday 8 January 2018

Summer Learning Journey: Week 1

Summer Learning Journey: Week 1,

Activity 1-What three things did you learn about Maui?

I did not learn anything, I knew the story "Maui and the giant fish" and have read it on numerous occasions before this. Here is the link they sent me to.

Activity 2-Imagine you are on a waka and traveling to New Zealand, write a letter to a friend telling them how you  feel.

Here is my letter:

Dear Anahera,


We have been sailing for six nights now, everyone colder than the last. Hemi and
Awhina are becoming more and more frantic as the moons pass. Kupe says that we
will be there soon but I am not so sure, we have already past three other wakas and
i'm sure there are more to come. Tāwhirimātea has been kind to us and Tangaroa has
also.

I am nervous of this new land, Hemi says that he is excited but in his child brain
I know he is just as nervous as I am. We are all sad you are not here with us, we miss
your jokes and child-like nature. Awhina cries for you at night and I try to comfort
her, telling her that you will be with us soon.


Please tell me how you are fearing, I worry that without Anaru you are not getting
the meat you need. But you have Hohepa now and I am glad of that.


Love from, Ataahua

3 comments:

  1. Hey Hannah,

    This is Jade C from the Summer Learning Journey team 2018. I will be reading your blog along with Rachel,Hazel, Ruby, and Jade F. I am looking forward to blogging with you this summer :)

    'Maui and the Giant Fish' is a very popular and well known story and I've read it more than 5 times as well! But I always learn something new! It could also be something that you have felt when you were reading the story. I learnt that it is very important to be nice to your siblings and others, because Maui's brothers treated Maui very badly. They were super mean to Maui! Little things like that you could add it in the list!

    Thanks for your sharing your creative writing with all of us! I really like how you made the font a bit different from others to make it stand out. Wow, I love your use of descriptive languages like 'frantic' and 'child-like nature'. You have also used numerous Maori words 'Tāwhirimātea' and 'Tangaroa', ka pai!

    This is a great start to the SLJ programme, I am excited to read more of your activity blog posts!

    Cheers,
    Jade C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jade,
      Thanks for your comment!

      When I was reading the story I was just thinking about the question that was asked not more than just the question and expanding on it. I will definitely try and do that more it the future.

      I really enjoy creative writing and I found that challenge fun and interesting. Im sorry that it would have been hard to read with the words going off the page, I copy and pasted it from a Google doc and I didnt realise that It had done that.

      Thanks again for your comment!
      From Hannah,
      Year 8,
      Yaldhurst Model School

      Delete
    2. Hey Hannah,

      Thanks for your reply, how was your day today? I cannot believe that it's Friday already. What are your plans for this weekend? I'm going to go to Jazz festival held at Takapuna beach this Saturday!

      It's great to see you working hard with your activities and I appreciate your response to my feedback.

      All the best,
      Jade C :)

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.