Pages

Wednesday 16 January 2019

Summer Learning Journey #2 - My Hometown

Today's activity for the Summer Learning Journey is all about our hometowns. My hometown is less of a town and more of city (all though not by much). I live in Christchurch in the south island of New Zealand.


Christchurch is, in reality a very small city. It seems like almost every time you go out somewhere your going to bump into someone you know. Because of its size there isn't too much to do for teenagers. Every single kid who has grown up in christchurch has been to Orana Park, Willow Bank, the air force museum and the city museum almost so much that they can pretty much walk around them blindfolded. 

Christchurch is also quite flat, meaning that when you meet someone one of the fundamental questions that you will get asked (after "what's your name" and "how old are you") is; "What school do you/did you go to?" It's a pretty common question and one that it pretty much an automatic for most people. 

Most people out of Christchurch know it for its infamous earthquakes. That is something that is %100 true. We did have some pretty horrific earthquakes (nothing on Japan but it was for us). 

But I digress, I do like my city, aside from the earthquakes and "having nothing to do aside from the mall". It's hot in the summer and cold and wet in the winter. I like going out to the river with our Dog and having the beach only a half and hour drive away. It's nice to be able to sit at home and be creative because there is almost literally nothing else to do.  But of course, as with anything. If you had asked me what my thoughts on my city were before I visited London i'm sure the answer would have been much different and probably much more positive. 

By Hannah. 

6 comments:

  1. Hello Hannah,
    You have put so much information and facts about your hometown, and it is so informative. Well done! I like how you included that you will probably bump into someone you know, and it has lots of earthquakes, that sounds so interesting!

    I am generally really interested about different places in NZ as I have only been in Auckland, and a couple days/nights in Tauranga, Hamilton and Coramandel. My hometown is Logan, which is in America, and you can head to my blog if you want to know more.

    Do you really like Christchurch?

    Happy Blogging
    Gargee HPS
    hpsgargeej.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Gargee!

      That's cool that you are interested in NZ. Im sure to you, Logan is quite boring and NZ sounds so much more interesting. I have only ever been to Auckland once as well so were in the same boat with that. It is definitely interesting when your walking absentmindedly around the mall and someone calls your name from across the food court. I wouldn't call earthquakes interesting - scary is more like it.

      Aside from everything I said I do like Christchurch I just get bored so easily and its always annoying when your searching for different fun things to do and nothing comes up or if it does you've been there before or its in Auckland or Wellington.

      Thanks for commenting!
      From Hannah.

      Delete
  2. Hello Hannah,
    I am Vitaraag. Christchurch sound like a nice and peaceful place other than the earthquakes. I wish I could go there. Do you like Christchurch? I do. Maybe next time you can say what you do there. Keep up the extraordinary work!

    Vitaraag

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Vitaraag!

      Christchurch is really peaceful, I like to use the word "crusy". I'm sure that if you do come here you will find it much more interesting then I have said it is. I think if I added what I do here it wouldn't be that interesting because I don't really do anything but go to the mall and stay at home and go to school.

      Thanks for your comment!
      From Hannah

      Delete
  3. Hi Hannah,

    Awesome to see another Summer Learning Journey post from you! You have done a fantastic job.

    Christchurch is a pretty cool city to grow up in with all the museums and wildlife parks but I can see what you mean about being able to go around them blindfolded once you have been so many times. Have you been to the adventure park yet? I think that would be something pretty cool to do for teenagers maybe?

    Have you been to London? If so, what did you think of it? I would love to go someday! Last year I went to the Greek Islands and Italy and that was absolutely amazing.

    Until next time, happy blogging. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma!

      I guess Christchurch is kinda cool. Do you mean the bike adventure park? My Dad has been there a few times and he loved it! But roaring down a massive hill on a bike that could kill/seriously hurt me at any moment isn't really what I call "fun".

      I have been to London. I absolutely LOVED it! I really want to move there someday. The Greek Islands sound beautiful. I have been Italy as well, what part did you visit? We went to Rome and Venice.

      Thanks for your comment!
      from Hannah

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.